Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Occupational Therapy

Sometimes I think bar tending was the perfect job for me.
Where else could somebody like me work and be able to be myself? I have a bit of a mouth on me. Sarcasm isn't just a noun, it's a way of life. I like to think of it as finding the humor in every day happenings. Really though, I'm just a straight up smart ass sometimes.

Bar tending let me run rampant when it came to saying what was on my mind. It's always said that there are two things you don't bring up in conversation at the bar: religion and politics. Ya think people always listened to old rule? Hell no.

I was never usually able to share my own views on the subjects, I was too busy telling people to shut the hell up when tempers flared while talking about their own beliefs. I got to say though, things to customers that normal occupations don't allow you to. It was especially fun when I got to kick somebody out. It was the size of bar where there was usually only one person bar tending. I was bartender, waitress and sometimes bouncer. So what I said, went. If I said enough, you got no more. If I said get out, you left. If I said shut up your annoying me, you were quiet. In theory anyway.

I worked in the type of bar that Toby Keith sang about in his song "I love this bar". There really was every type of person you could imagine that walked in the door to hang out. It was a good lesson in sociology. I would be willing to bet I got a better education on that subject there, than I could at any college that I couldn't afford.

We had the factory workers. From the small plant operations to the Ford worker guys. Business owners, Union reps, cooks, waitresses, lawyers, hookers, car dealership owners, even the occasional homeless. The bar had it all and oh the stories I could tell about them.

Of all those people, there wasn't anyone who I didn't unleash the sarcasm on when it was called for. Yes, even the owner of the bar. My boss. He made it so easy I couldn't resist. Like the time he was going on and on about something he was selling (an ATV, I think) but the buyer was resisting the price. He said the guy told him, "its so small it's not even worth it". So of course I had to ask "Wow, do you hear that very often?" He didn't like it very much but he got over it. Heh.

Some people may ask, if I was such a smart ass I couldn't have made very much, could I? I did pretty good. I wasn't going to be rich by far because of it being small and in this town where I am, but the people seemed to appreciate a break from the norm. I don't follow the 'customer is always right' rule and I think there is always a bit of honesty along with the sarcasm. I have been known to be polite on occasion, but hey, everyone has an off day.

All in all, I would have to say I only remember one time where a customer to offense to something I said in jest. I don't even remember what it was that I said. I only remember that the guy looked like a kicked puppy dog and he left shortly after. Ah well, can't win em all.

I don't bar tend anymore, and I miss it. If anything, it was a great way to socialize with all the walks of life and get paid for it. There were some downs to go with the ups but it was a great ride. So as I head to my job interview on Monday, a job where I will have to mind my P's and Q's, I will drive past the old place and tip my hat. Fondly remembering the days when I worked at a place where being un p.c was acceptable, where I could be myself.