Friday, October 23, 2009

Songbird

So the song is finished. Originally she had asked for a "women kicking ass" kinda song...her words, not mine :) However, when ever I tried to write, the only thing I could think of was our daughters. How she had talked about her little girl and of course how I felt about mine.

What came from those thoughts was a story of what it is like to be a woman raising a woman. Now, the both of us have sons too. Sons that as far as we are concerned, hung the moon. Being a mom though, you just don't have that same perspective as your boy. When my girls grow up, I will know intimately what it's like to face what they are going to face. The challenges and struggles that happen out in the world and inside your heart. I grab and kiss their baby faces right now as much as I can because I know, all too soon, that time is going to come where I won't be able to do that without something getting thrown at me or worse....hearing an ewww, gross mom.

I kept thinking of how we would like our daughters to see us and just how they effect our lives, the decisions we make. That when we raise a girl to be a woman we come full circle. Almost as if we are raising ourselves, providing for them what we were lacking in our own childhood. Here are a few verses:

What I want her to be tomorrow
Is what I have to be today
The choices I make right now
Will help show her the way
With one foot in front of the other
Nothing can keep you down forever
Your life is yours to make
The world is there to take

So when life can seem impossible
With no simple way to make it through
I ask myself just one question
What would I want my daughter to do
Shown the way because of my love for you

In time as we talk woman to woman
And your own little one has come along
I'll let you know what to ask yourself
For in that answer you can't go wrong
With innocent eyes watching you'll be strong

My friend said she liked it. Okay she gushed about how she loved, but she's a good friend. That's what they're suppose to do!

We'll see what happens.