Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Support System

This past weekend I went to go see my friend, the one who asked me to write her a song, sing in a local talent show. She did a wonderful job. Naturally. Despite the music not being on cue and her mic going out half way through the performance, she rocked. To watch her, you couldn't see anything but a cool as a cucumber performer. Girlfriend actually did better vocally after the mic went out. She pushed her voice out and continued on with the show. She was a true inspiration. A lesson in class.

I can tell you honestly I would have stomped off the stage crying and cursing the fates for my rotten luck had that happened to me. I guess that's why I'm better off behind the scenes writing, and that's where I'll stay thank you very much. I'm a person who is ever suspicious, just waiting for something to go wrong. So when something finally does go wrong it's like I put my hands on my hips and yell "see" really loud. I can't help it. Like Popeye said...."I ams what I ams".

Juvenile behavior aside, I am lucky enough to have friends that show me a better way. Like Girlfriend and her classy disposition. Then there's Cali Girl. This lady is a truly enlightened being. You gotta question, she's got an answer. You gotta problem. She's gotta solution. One of the most intelligent persons I've ever met in my life. Why she ever became friends with this clueless, lost soul, I'll never know, but I am glad she did. Last but not least there's Plucky. The only other girl I've known who can be just as goofy as I can be. If not more so. That's saying a lot too! It's nice to have someone you can be downright foolish with and not feel self conscience about it in the least. However, for as nutty as we can be, we have been know on occasion to have adult conversations. Talks that have actually been productive in lighting a path on this journey that is life.

I have been throwing some pretty crazy stuff at these ladies lately but they haven't so much as batted a pretty eyelash at me. No matter what I have ever confided in them, they looked at me like I had just told them the sky is blue. Their expressions almost saying....And? They're my support. My friends. My family.

Like the Beatles sang, I get by with a little help from my friends. In my case, more than just a little.